Welcome -

Welcome to my photography blog! Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to look around and stay a while.

Back Light - Rim Light

Monday, October 11, 2010
I've been so stinkin' busy with my photography for the last several months that I have really had to prioritize things in my life. I used to always publish sneak peaks on my blog for each client photo session, but in order to actually spend time with my family, friends and horses, I've had to let the sneak peaks go - for now. 

One of these days, I'm going to publish a collage post of my favorite pics from each of my poor neglected, unpublished sessions. For now, I'm spending every spare minute just trying to get them edited, so that I can eventually get them back to my lovely, patient clients.

But I don't want to completely neglect my photo blog, and tonight I had a wild hair to post about my current photography love: backlighting.


Photography is a journey - it wasn't long ago that my comfort zone was window light and open shade, but now I've finally stepped into the light - and it's beautiful!


Morning light before the sun gets too high looks like this: 

and this:



Evening light in the last couple of hours before the sun goes down looks like this:



and this:


Sometimes with backlighting you get this amazing, dreamy haze. 


And you always get this little rim of light - rimlight - painting a glowing highlight around the subjects. Niiiice. 

 

I think it's fair to say that backlighting is my new photography addiction. And the beautiful thing about it? It's free and readily available for several hours every day.

Light is the first of painters. There is no object so foul that intense light will not make it beautiful.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)








2 comments:

Jenna Marie said...

Mmmm... Love me some back-lighting! :) Great pictures! And I love that quote!

katie said...

Great pictures! Love the one of Doug and Teesh!!

Post a Comment